Complaints procedure when making a complaint against a Financial Service Provider 

How to make a complaint against a financial services provider

Complaints against financial institutions or complaints about financial services should first be discussed with the financial institution concerned. Under our Consumer Protection Code, all regulated financial services firms must have a complaints handling procedure in place.  

If you are not happy with the response, you have the right to refer the complaint to the Financial Services Ombudsman or Pensions Ombudsman, which are statutory independent bodies.  The Financial Services Ombudsman deals with complaints against financial services firms, including financial advisors and financial products.  The Pensions Ombudsman deals with complaints about any person responsible for managing your employer pension scheme or PRSA. 

The CCPC's personal finance website has a step-by-step guide to help you, should you wish to make a complaint against a regulated financial service provider. Or you can contact us at and we will advise you of the procedures involved and help you with any questions you might have.

In addition, the Central Bank may decide to investigate serious or systemic general complaints about regulated financial service providers, and complaints about their advertisements (as part of our supervisory work). You can contact us at to notify us of such cases. However, due to strict secrecy laws, we are unable to disclose any case details including the findings of our investigations. Should you wish to seek personal redress, you need to contact the Financial Services Ombudsman or Pensions Ombudsman.