Explainer - How do I complain about a financial services firm?


If you have a complaint about a financial services firm, you should first discuss your complaint with the firm itself - be it a bank, an insurance firm, broker or an investment company.

Under the Central Bank’s Consumer Protection Code, all regulated financial services firms must have a complaints handling procedure in place.

If, after following the firm’s complaints process, you are still not satisfied with the response, you have the right to refer the complaint to the Financial Services and Pensions Ombudsman (FSPO). This is a statutory independent body that mediates unresolved disputes/complaints with regulated financial services providers. The FSPO also handles complaints about any person responsible managing your employer pension scheme or Personal Retirement Savings Account (PRSA).

The Competition and Consumer Protection Commission (CCPC) aims to make markets work better for consumers and businesses. Read its step-by-step guide on how to make a complaint to a financial services provider.

While the Central Bank does not investigate individual consumer complaints, we appreciate and welcome contact from consumers of financial products.

Read more about how to complain about a financial services company or contact us.