Complaints Process

Complaint about a regulated financial institution?

If you have a complaint about a regulated financial institution, you should first discuss with the financial institution concerned. Under our Consumer Protection Code, all regulated financial services firms must have a complaints handling procedure in place.

If you have exhausted the complaints handling process in the institution and are not satisfied with the response, you have the right to refer the complaint to the Financial Services and Pensions Ombudsman (FSPO), which are statutory independent bodies. The Financial Services and Pensions Ombudsman deals with complaints against financial services firms. The Pensions Ombudsman deals with complaints about any person responsible for managing your employer pension scheme or PRSA. The Central Bank does not investigate individual complaints.

The Competition and Consumer Protection Commission’s (CCPC) personal finance website  has a step by step guide to help you, should you wish to make a complaint against a regulated financial service provider.

In addition, the Central Bank may decide to investigate serious or systemic general complaints about regulated financial service providers. You can contact us at [email protected] to notify us of such cases. However, due to confidentiality requirements, we are unable to disclose any case details including the findings of our investigations.

Other Useful Links